Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Month One

~I have to admit, these aren't pretty...but very good!!

So this week marks one month that I have been an "official church planter". And living back here in KY....

Here are some of things I'm having to get used to:

~First of all, I have to pump my own gas!!!! Wow, that wasn't hard to get used to in NJ. I also miss that guy in Dover that would hand me my card after he pumped my gas and would say, "Thank you, Madame."

~Last night I bought the boys some jeans...I had to pay a sales tax on them!!! It used to be so nice going in to a store and paying exactly what was on the price tag...none of this 6% stuff!!

~Matt no longer works right next door. (This is a HUGE transition, we only have the one car...)

~I miss my NJ family, like crazy!!! :-(

Ok, to be fair...I love being able to see family and KY friends more often. I love that I only paid $1.75 for a gallon of milk yesterday. Well, most everything is cheaper here. :-) And I love how total strangers talk to you like their best friends!

And most of all I love the feeling that I know...God called me here to plant a church in Crestwood. (Even on those days that I ask, "What in the world am I doing?")

There is one thing that I didn't learn from BootCamp, that other planters may be going through...I came from a large church where we were working full-time. Now, if you've ever been in ministry, you know that you always need to do more than you've been asked to do. So, I was not only in Youth Ministry, but I was involved in Nursery/Children's Ministry, Music Ministry, and Hospitality Ministry. And I LOVED being busy...I loved my calendar being full. I loved knowing what was next on the list....

Right now, I'm..... well, not so busy. I mean, we have been talking and meeting with people, and spending time at our facility where we're planting. And our first Four Hills Bible Study on Sunday...and I couldn't be more excited!! :) But, starting something from scratch is a little more difficult than I had envisioned. I know soon, I'll be back to a full calendar. And maybe I need to use this "down-time" to prepare myself for the real work yet to come!

"But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles, They run and don't get tired, they walk and don't lag behind." ~Isaiah 40:31 (The Message)


No Bake Cookies (Very easy...just like my mamaw used to make!)


~2 cups sugar ~4 tablespoons cocoa ~1 stick butter ~1/2 cup milk ~1 cup peanut butter ~1 tablespoon vanilla ~2 1/2 cups oatmeal ~Waxed paper


In a heavy saucepan bring to a boil, the sugar, cocoa, butter and milk. Let boil for 1 minute (NOT A SECOND LONGER) take off heat, then add peanut butter, vanilla and oatmeal. On a sheet of waxed paper, drop mixture by the tablespoonfuls, until cooled and hardened. Tip - start the minute countdown once it starts a rolling boil and make sure your wax paper is ready. It starts to harden quickly after the oats are added! :)

1 comment:

Andy said...

I am sooo happy you all are home!!! :o)