Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Cobbler for Dinner




When I was 18, I worked at a truck stop. I worked in the "diner" part as a prep-cook. I interviewed for the grill-cook, but was told I didn't have enough experience. I told them, "I've been cookin' since I was old enough to stand on a chair to see over the counter top!" But they were right...I needed to start slow. It was an incredibly busy place.

As a prep-cook, I made the salads, made the yeast rolls, and made the cobblers... Had I not started out where I did, I would not know how to place the tomatoes and cucumbers perfectly on the lettuce, know exactly when the dough had proofed, or been able to make my dinner for tonight...

Blackberry Cobbler for dinner with a side of Vanilla Ice Cream...mmm! I can't even tell you how many of these cobblers that I made while I worked there. Peach, Blackberry, Blueberry...whatever I had. And still to this day if the fruit is there, a cobbler can be made.

Tonight, Matt had a late meeting and the boys ate early... So I whipped up a Blackberry Cobbler and I was a happy camper!  The following is the recipe I used at the truck stop, although tonight I split the recipe in half and it turned out beautifully...only took about 35 minutes to bake.

Truck Stop Cobbler

1 stick Butter
1 cup Sugar (a little more to sprinkle on top)
1 cup Self-Rising Flour
1 cup Milk
2 cups Blackberries

Melt butter in a microwavable dish. Pour 1 cup of sugar and flour into a mixing bowl, whisking in milk. Mix well. Then, pour in melted butter and whisk it all well together. Spray a non-stick spray into a baking dish. Rinse and dry the blackberries. Pour the batter into the buttered baking dish. Sprinkle blackberries over the top of the batter, evenly.

Sprinkle about ¼ cup sugar over the top. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until golden and bubbly. And if you're boring, eat this warm...if you're not, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. ~A day without sugar is a sad day...

*Note: To make your own self-rising flour, mix 1 cup of all-purpose flour with 1 tsp of baking powder and 1/4 tsp of salt.

2 comments:

PinkPrincessAli said...

That sounds delicious! I'm glad you blogged :)

A Homeschool Mom said...

Thank you! I see you're blogging too... Yay! I have some catching up to do on my reading today! :)